Cake pops have been around for a few years and are about the cutest confection out there. Quite simply they are little lollipop-like treats made out of a molded, truffle-like cake mixture. The cake mixture is formed into balls, placed onto sticks, dipped into a candy coating, and decorated. Recipe books and magazine articles can give you all sorts of decorating ideas for all seasons.
The boom of cake pops can be traced back to the good people over at Bakerella. Check out their website for cool ideas for your own. They even published a cute little book on cake pops. Most recently, Starbucks has started offering the little confection to customers.
You should make cake pops. They are fun, easy, delicious, and are a great addition to any party treat table. One other great thing about cake pops–you can flavor them however you like. You can even add alcohol for a fun adult treat!
You will need:
- Lollipop sticks
- Sprinkles and decorations for the outside of the pops
- Candy coating (almond bark or chocolate disks)
- One box of cake mix: prepared and cooled
- One can of icing (you can also use about 2 cups of homemade)
- Flavoring for your cake mixture
- A piece of floral foam to cool the pops on
Flavor ideas to add to the cake base:
- Orange extract
- Lime extract and rum
- Butter extract and chopped almonds
- Pineapple extract and shredded coconut
- Almond extract and chopped maraschino cherries
1. Bake the cake as directed, let cool and then crumble.
3. Add desired flavorings and extras.
4. Form into balls. (I used a cookie scoop to get the pieces the same size.) After rolling into balls, put into freezer until set; about an hour. Begin melting candy coating.
5. Take the frozen cake balls out of the freezer, put sticks into ball.
6. Begin dipping the pieces into the candy coating and decorate as desired.
7. Cool on the floral foam.
8. Enjoy. These will be a hit at your party.